Saturday, December 1, 2007

Non-Sagar sambar-vada in Defence Colony

One of the things I miss most from Bangalore are cheap opportunities to eat several vadas.




An old lady waits with her cafe on wheels, as soon as you turn into Defence Colony from near the Andrews Ganj flyover. She is comfortable speaking Tamil or Hindi, and even understood me when I spoke to her in Malayalam. Last time I ate there, random policemen were fleecing her, and from what I saw, it could not have been a one-off experience.




The sambar had too few vegetables and too much asafoteida, and on my return to office I was feeling like a bit of a gas cylinder. It was quite tasty, but maybe I was too hungry. It did not matter. Two parippu vadas and two uzhunnu vadas for twenty five rupees is as cheap as you get at any Bangalore darshini.





In Malayalam you call them parippu vada (darker ones on the left) and uzhunnu vada. But as far as I know, parippu (kind of dal/lentils) is ground with water to make uzhunnu.















Here she is.

3 comments:

Soulberry said...

I can never resist food, neither can I resist reading about it. Unfortunately reading about it makes me eat compulsively and I did struggle at one time to get my age-and-indulgence inflated weight down by 20 kilos! Now not a problem though.

There is also Southie joint in Shankar Road market which does a decent job of it and one in Karol Bagh that serves up only "dal vada" at fixed times of morning and evening. Those are worth eating. The Udipi hotel in KB is still worth eating at even if the decor has gone seedy.

John said...

The insides of my stomach cannot see the decor. Most of the places that are and will be featured on this blog will not soothe the eye. But they'll certainly fill the stomach.

Unknown said...

thankyou for your blog pure vegetarian south indian restaurants in karol bagh