Thursday, February 14, 2008

Burger Battles

Quick reviews and comments on eating out experiences in the last fortnight:
1. McDonalds: Is the only place that can satisfy lunch pangs at 4PM near the Esplanade Court. I confess to eating a Chicken McBurger Meal. The Burgers are shrinking, in case regular eaters there haven't noticed. And when I'm talking about the Burger I mean the Chicken Patty. Personally I dislike McD's but you gotta love the fries there. Unfortunately for my efforts I was given a "Chak De India" Olympic Card, whereby if I subject myself to two more 4PM lunch attempts I will get a fourth meal free. All my loved ones are under strict instructions to not allow me to fall into the trap.
2. Mela (Worli): Was once upon a time a nice restaurant with a fantastic location. Now it just has a fantastic location. We sat in a newly painted room - the smell of the paint wasn't strong enough to mask the quality of the food, though.
3. Bembo's: More burgers, this time, South American. If you find yourself spoilt for choice between Bembo's and McD's, here's an easy comparison:
- At Bembo's, you get an option of cheese and a fried egg on your burger.
- At Bembo's, the bread bun has a yellow tinge. (At least I hope so)
- At Bembo's, there's unlimited mayo.
- At Bembo's, you have the option of a mutton burger.
- At Bembo's, the Veg Burger is made of Rajma, not Potato and friends like at McD.
- At Bembo's, there's no Olympic Card Collection.
- Most importantly, at Bembo's, there's life beyond the burger.
Bembo's is better than McDs in my final analysis, but the McD fries still win. Don't take the Bembo's cashier too seriously when he tells you that something is "spicy", though.
4. Hard Rock Cafe: I'm the sorriest that this wasn't even worth a seperate blog post. I don't care how much Aerosmith loves those Quesadillas, they have to change their menu. Especially since even the good items on the menu, like the Spicy Calamari, have suddenly deteriorated in quality. What's the point of playing great music in the fantastic ambience of a converted mill when everyone leaves of hunger pangs? Also, the watering down of the drinks is not going unnoticed. We are watching. And complaining.
5. Smokin Lee's: Freaked me out when they identified my name and address merely by giving them my phone number. That's when they told me that they got the register from the "Smokin' Joe's" franchise office. You see, they are affiliated. Smokin Lee's gives chinese food in boxes, like what you see on Seinfeld or Friends. The quality of the food is just about average, nothing exceptional and the usual suspects on the menu. What is extraordinary is the pricing - a meal for two is about 300 plus taxes, for a vegetarian starter, rice/noodles and main course. It's not "cheap chinese take out". Get stuff from your local udupi which dabbles in Chinese instead.

No comments: