Friday, January 25, 2008

Cookbook Watch: Madhur Jaffrey



I have learnt the basics of cooking from my mother, by just watching her. But an autographed copy of the First edition of Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking is what introduced me to a world outside Goan Cooking. It's the real "dummies" guide, written basically for cooks who don't know much beyond Pot Roast, Pasta and Meat loaf. From the description of basic Indian spices, to basic techniques, to small details and helpful hints. I guess the best cookbook writers are not experts in themselves, but people who understand how complicated cooking seems arnd tries their best to simplify things for the reader. Wonderful stuff. My mom thinks that as Indians we should double the chilli content of each of her dishes, and I tend to agree. But if you asked me to choose only one recipie to follow, I'd keep her garam masala recipie.It's better than any packed stuff you can find. I grind the ingredients together and keep it in a air tight container and guard it with my heart and soul. A sprinkle makes even a bland dish wonderfully aromatic.
Here's the recipie:

1 tbsp Cardamom Seeds
1 2 inch stick Cinnamon Stick
1 tsp Black Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Whole Cloves
1 tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
1/4 th of a whole Nutmeg
Grind together, or use a mortar and pestle. But make sure you don't let any moisture near it. Steal a tupperware container from your mom to store it. It makes about 3-4 tbsp of powder.
Recently I chanced upon "Eastern Vegetarian Cooking" at a bookstore. When a Goan girl dates a Tam Brahm boy, she needs to know food beyond fish. I bought it solely on the great admiration I have for Madhur Jaffrey's style. And I was not disappointed!
This book gives you the best of regional Indian vegetarian cuisine, along with some fantastic veggie recipes from all over Asia. She's used a huge variety of vegetables - like Lotus Stems, Karela, Courgettes and asparagus, besides good ol' potato, eggplant, cauliflower and okra. The food's good enough for you to understand why some people choose to be vegetarian... kind of.

No comments: